Search This Blog

Friday, December 7, 2012

An old school K-pop fans take on PSY's anti-American rapping


So while I am not a fan of PSY or his music, I have been seeing several people posting about his "Anti-American" raps from 2004. I am just going to paste my previous replies here, and everyone can take it for what they want. [edited for grammatical correctness]

I remember hearing about the blow back in Korea after the Military courts found the soldiers in the American tank that ran over two Korean girls not guilty. It was really the last straw in a sense of outrage over several rapes and "disorderly conduct" cases where the American servicemen (and yes, they were all men) were acquitted or given very light slaps on the wrist. Having [relatively] recently become something of a fan of Korean music and film culture that was growing at the time, reading the details of what happened from translated Korean news sites, and seeing how differently the narrative read from what American news site[s] mentioned, this was kind of my awakening to just how much
bullshit was in our news cycles. It took me a while more to fully understand why PSY and others said some of the things they said, and to realize that while vitriolic, it was largely based on rage at how they were being treated like their citizens did not matter, and artistic expression. Now I've never been much of a fan of PSY's style, but I certainly don't care that he made these statements, and as a human I share his rage against the violence that American troops have been waging against the Korean people for 60 years now.
Now while it can be construed that I am some sort of anti-American whatever from that, we as a people, and as a geopolitical entity, claim to have some sort of moral superiority. How can [we] make such claims and then let our servicemen get away with rape, murder, destruction of property, and disorderly conduct upon the civilian populations of countries we are supposedly allies with? This is not isolated to Korea. It has happened in Okinawa, Germany, France, Kuwait, Philippines, and on, and on. At what point do we start seeing the rest of the world as human beings just like us that deserve to live without fear from our troops that are supposedly there for their protection, and justice should any of those troops commit a crime? This is an extension of our countries ongoing problems with racism and sexism. Far too often Americans, all of us, tend to want to separate everyone else from us, to label them as something different, and therefor inferior and not worthy of the same rights and privileges we take for granted. This must end.

Sorry, but I feel strongly about this because I know victims of exactly this kind of violence. I have listened to their stories. If I did not know so many good service members personally, or have some understanding of the psychological problems military life (especially during war) can cause, I could probably write far more vitriolic lyrics than what PSY did.

No comments:

Post a Comment